The Film Fund LLC Official Contest Rules and Legal Disclaimer
The Film Fund LLC (“we” and/or “Promoter”) organizes two (2) skill-based screenwriting contests for short films (the “Contests"). The prize for winning a Contest will be up to USD $10,000 (defined below) received for the applicable Contest (the “Prize”). There exist two contests that will run concurrently at the dates set forth on the TheFilmFund.co (the “Website”), which may be extended and all Entrants will be notified on the Website. There exist two (2) contests in total: (1) a “Documentary Contest” in which you (“the “Entrant” and/or “Participant”) shall craft and submit one (1) sentence with a compelling and unique premise for a documentary short film; and (2) a “Narrative Contest” in which the Entrant shall craft and submit one (1) sentence with a compelling and unique premise for a narrative fiction short film. For all Contests, Entrants must enter the aforementioned submission as well as a creative explanation on how to utilize the funding. All submissions require an entry fee of thirty dollars (USD $30.00) (“Entry Fee”) per submission, whereby the Entry Fee is subject to change upon notice or a notification on the Website to Entrants. There may be additional services on top of the Entry Fee that Entrants may purchase. The Prize is awarded to the best entry for each contest by a panel of judges (qualified individuals with professional experience in the entertainment industry) and will go toward the making and production of a short film, received after the production of the short film, in accordance with the Eligibility requirements set forth below.
● The Contests are open to all writers and filmmakers at all levels who are at least eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry.
● Entrants from anywhere in the world are eligible, except where prohibited by law in the state, province or country where the Entrant is located.
● The material submitted must be in English.
● All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
● The material submitted must be no more than 200 characters in length.
● There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
● Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the Entrant or the work is in the public domain (Entrants may be asked to confirm the aforementioned).
● The material must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the contest.
● If a script based on a concept or logline becomes optioned, produced, or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the Contest Period (defined below) that entry will no longer be eligible.
● Prize winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and proper tax documentation before Prizes are released.
● By entering the Contest, you acknowledge your eligibility for the Contest. We will verify all eligibility requirements at the finalist stage of the Contest and before distributing any prizes
● Employees, officers, directors, or agents of Promoter or any of Promoter’s partners, related companies, agencies, or agents, as well as the immediate family (defined as spouse, parents, siblings, children, and grandparents) and same household members of any such employee, officer, director, or agent, are not eligible to participate.
● The judges of the Contests are also exempt from entering the Contests.
● If you reside in a state or territory where contests of this nature are prohibited, you are ineligible to enter into this Contest. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
● We reserve the right to amend these requirements at any time.
RULES AND HOW TO ENTER
● Submissions are accepted via electronic submission to the official contest Website during the Contest Period (defined below). All material must be submitted here: https://www.thefilmfund.co/contests/narrative-sentence-entry/ and https://www.thefilmfund.co/contests/documentary-sentence-entry/. We will only review what is submitted on the online application form.
● There is no limit to the number of projects an Entrant may submit.
● Entry Fee payment must be made in full at time of submission for entries to be considered eligible. All Entry Fees are non-refundable.
● All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
● Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written or recorded by writing and/or filmmaking teams must be submitted by one of the writers and/or filmmakers, with consent of the other(s).
● If a writing or filmmaking team is chosen as a winner, the Prize will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the Prize money.
● All ownership and rights to the ideas submitted to the Contests remains with the original rights holders.
● The winner(s) must include visible text with The Film Fund LLC’s provided motion graphic in the film for at least five (5) seconds in the opening credits that reads "In Association with The Film Fund LLC. Learn more at thefilmfund.co.”
● Entrant must reserve one Executive Producer credit for a project manager from The Film Fund LLC.
● Completed film must be no longer than fifteen (15) minutes in length.
● Winner must have production insurance and errors and omissions insurance naming The Film Fund LLC as an additional insured and must provide written confirmation when requested by the Promoter.
● The Prize for each contest will be dependent on the number of entrants in the Contest but will not exceed ten thousand dollars (USD $10,000).
● To receive the Prize, the winner(s) must submit expenses to The Film Fund LLC for reimbursement within a period of one hundred and twenty (120) days from the date of receiving notification of winning as set forth herein. Every expense incurred that goes toward the production of the short film must be documented. Expense reports must be emailed to the following address for reimbursement: email@example.com. This expense report can only be submitted for reimbursement after production has wrapped, meaning after the recording of the film on set has occurred.
ENTRY TO THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided entries will be refunded. Entrants’ eligibility will be verified before the Prize is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility.
By submitting the material, the entrant hereby agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and defend The Film Fund LLC, its employees, directors, representatives, and affiliates from any liability, claims, and damages in connection with the submission and from any fees and expenses, including but not limited to reasonable attorney fees that any of them may incur in connections therewith.
PROVISION OF MATERIALS AND INFORMATION/INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
By entering into a Contest, Entrant represents and warrants as follows: (1) that it fully owns or has properly licensed whatever materials or information it submits hereunder in connection with the Contest and can make such submissions without violating any: applicable law, agreement with any third-party, and/or third-party right of any kind (including without limitation any intellectual property, data protection, privacy, or publicity right); and (2) that any and all materials or information provided by it hereunder shall be true and correct in all respects. Furthermore, without limitation on anything set forth herein to the contrary, Promoter shall have the irrevocable, transferable, and fully sublicensable right and license (but not the obligation) to exploit any and all such materials or information in any manner it so elects to promote the Contest, its business, brand, products and/or services, throughout the world in perpetuity, and in any and all media, now or hereafter known.
The two Contests begin on August 1st, 2023, at 7:15:00 AM Eastern Time and ends on September 26th, 2023, at 11:59.59 PM Eastern Time (referred to as the “Contest Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Contest Period will be disqualified.
● Winner(s) will be chosen by the judging panel, selected by The Film Fund LLC or its representatives. Information on the judges can be found here: thefilmfund.co/judges/
● The winner(s) will be chosen based on the following factors: (1) compelling premise and (2) creative utilization of funds. The outcome of judging is at the sole discretion of the judges.
● Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges' verification of eligibility.
● Any Entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of The Film Fund LLC.
Prizes; Selecting and Notifying Prize Winners
● The odds of winning a Prize (and the retail value of any such Prize), varies from Contest to Contest. Promoter will contact all winners by email to confirm that they have won and are entitled to a claim Prize.
● Promoter is not responsible for digital communications that are undeliverable as a result of any filtering of any kind, insufficient space in a Participant’s account, or any other failure beyond its reasonable control. In the event of a dispute with respect to entries received from more than one user having the same e-mail address/account, the authorized subscriber of the account in question at the time of entry will be deemed the proper entrant.
● The winner's name will be available twenty-nine (29) days after the Contest Period by emailing the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Each winner must show picture identification to claim his or her Prize. Any potential winner will forfeit his or her Prize if he or she:
o (1) fails to respond in a timely fashion but not later than fourteen (14) days from any of Promoter’s requests for information or signatures with respect the Contest or the Prize;
o (2) cannot be reached at the information provided by such individual;
o (3) rejects the Prize (or it is returned undeliverable through no fault of Promoter); or
o (4) is disqualified from the Contest for any reason.
o (5) fail to submit their expenses within the hundred and twenty (120) day period mentioned in the foregoing rules
● In the event of any forfeiture hereunder, an alternate winner may be selected. Prize winners are solely responsible for all applicable:
o (1) federal, state, and local taxes; and
o (2) out-of-pocket expenses, associated with Prize acceptance and use.
● Winner(s) will be notified by email within twenty-eight (28) days after the Contest Period.
● The Film Fund LLC will notify the winner(s) when and where the Prize can be collected.
● Promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the Contest will be final.
● Promoter is not responsible for inaccurate Prize details supplied to any Entrant by any third party connected with the Contest.
● Promoter will not fund any film that violates Promoter content policy:
o Stereotype, inaccurately portray, or attack an individual or group on the basis of age, national origin, race, ethnicity, color, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, family status, or disability.
o Promote or glorify violence, crime, or obscenity.
o Promote discrimination, inequity or practices that bring harm to underrepresented populations, directly or indirectly.
o Be offensive or disturbing or likely to cause outrage, general disapproval, or negative opinion within the community.
o Constitute, facilitate or promote illegal products, services or activities.
o Contain material that is fraudulent, defamatory, or harassing to any individual or group
o Portray minors (or persons who appear to be underage) in a manner that is sexually suggestive or otherwise age-inappropriate.
o Display content that is false, misleading, fraudulent, or deceptive.
o Serves or supports an individual or organizations that have demonstrated repeated or sustained behavior counter to our content policies.
o Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Promoter shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify this Agreement, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to the official contest webpage: thefilmfund.co. Entrants will be notified of changes by email within a reasonable time period after the changes have been completed.
Entrant recognizes and acknowledges that a breach of his or her obligations pursuant to this Agreement may cause irreparable and material loss and damage to The Film Fund LLC and/or its affiliates, the amount of which cannot be determined readily and as to which The Film Fund LLC and/or its affiliates will not have an adequate remedy at law or in damages. Accordingly, in addition to any remedy The Film Fund LLC and/or its affiliates may have in damages by an action at law, The Film Fund LLC and/or its affiliates shall be entitled to the issuance of an injunction restraining any such breach or threatened breach or any other remedy at law or in equity for any such breach.
Subject to applicable law, entrance in any Contest constitutes the Participant’s consent to Promoter and Promoter’s affiliates to use his or her name, voice, likeness, opinions, and biographical information for marketing, advertising, and publicity purposes in any media throughout the world at any time without the obligation to seek consent or to provide Participant with any payment or other form of consideration. Participant agrees to execute any document reasonably required by Promoter to effectuate the terms hereof and failure to do so shall give rise to Promoter’s right to execute any and all such documents as Participant’s attorney-in-fact, which right shall be coupled with an interest and therefore, irrevocable.
Subject to applicable law, by entering into a Contest and potentially receiving a Prize, each Participant and winner agrees to release, discharge, and hold harmless Promoter, along with Promoter’s employees, officers, directors, affiliates, partners, agents and assigns, from and against any claim, cause of action, demand, or proceeding (each, a “Claim”), and any resultant loss, injury (including death), cost, expense, fee, fine, penalty, or other loss or expense of any kind, including attorneys’ fees (each, a “Loss”), relating to or arising directly or indirectly out of his or her participation in a Contest (or related activity such as a press release), and/or Promoter’s right to exploit Participant’s name and/or likeness or fully exploit any other right granted to it hereunder, and/or from Participant’s receipt, use, or misuse of any Prize, no matter how such Claim or Loss arises (including without limitation, if arising out of any damage to a Participant’s computer system from downloading or using material from Promoter’s (or an affiliate of Promoter’s) website).
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
In no event will promoter, and/or promoter’s parent, subsidiary, licensees, employees, agents, officers, directors, assigns, affiliates, or related companies (collectively with promoter, the “promoter parties”), be responsible or liable for any indirect, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages (including without limitation lost profits) arising out of any participant’s participation in the contest, these official contest rules, and/or any participant’s receipt of a prize, no matter under what theory arising, even if any promoter party has been advised of the possibly of such damages. Promoter parties’ entire liability with respect to: any participant’s participation in the contest, these official contest rules, and/or any participant’s receipt of a prize shall be limited to $500. Some jurisdictions may not allow the aforementioned limitations or exclusions of liability and as such, the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding these limitations or exclusions.
USE OF COLLECTED MATERIALS AND INFORMATION
Promoter will be collecting, storing, and exploiting personal data about Participants to administer Contests and exercise its rights hereunder, including without limitation, those relating to marketing and publicity. By entering into any of Promoter’s Contests, Participants agree to Promoter’s collection and use of their personal information. Promoter will not disclose any Participant’s personal information to any non-affiliated third party. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other Entrants will be used solely in accordance with current United States data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the Entrant's prior consent.
The parties hereto acknowledge and agree as follows: (1) that all disputes, causes of action, and claims connected to or arising in any way hereunder between the parties shall be resolved solely on an individual basis (i.e., class actions suits are hereby waived by the parties), and exclusively by the state or federal courts situated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; (2) that the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall govern, without regard to its conflict of laws principles; and (3) that the parties hereto waive any right to a trial by jury.
The Film Fund LLC
3302 St. Davids Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073